WATERSKI NEWS 2006 - 2007
Headlines June 2006 - May 2007, Details and Archives
Note: News on this page is posted with the latest at the top and
the earliest at the bottom. This is an archive page that will store
everything originally posted on the home page and provide additional
detail when needed.
- 5/23/07 WSTIMS 3.53
updated for Spring 2007 is now available.
- 5/11/07 Maracossic Fun
Fest June 9 and Trick Fest July 28 are cancelled.
- Local county ordinance will not give approval to hold the events,
Bowling Green, VA.
- 5/7/07 Safety Clinic at Given's Pond 5/19
- Instructor Suzan Andrews, Registration - Hunter & Tracey Phillips
- 5/3/07 Notes from the
- Technical Controller needed for Nationals; Extra Regional Guidebooks
Available; 2007 Nationals Officials Announced; 2007 Eastern Regionals
Officials Update; Eastern Region Contact List Update—There
has been an update to the Eastern Region Contact List since the
2007 Eastern Region Tournament Guidebook was published. Please
see updated list.
- 4/23/07 (updated 8/10/07) Remembering Alan Rossi
- Friend to many in the water-skiing community, Alan Rossi passed
away suddenly on Saturday, 4/21. View the news
story and obituary.
See page on Green
Mountain Water Skiers website (this link added 8/10/07).
- 4/2/07 Note on upcoming
- 4/2/07 Fact
sheet for the Junior U.S. Open
- The fact
sheet includes qualification and procedures, registration
and accommodation information. Thank you for your help with this
event. Please fell free to contact the competition department
with any questions.
- 3/28/07 Dave Robbins notes that parameters for Perfect
Pass in the new guidebook are incorrect
- Does not include the change in when Kd can be changed. The new
rulebook page 92 is correct. Trickers can change Kd (firmness
of pull) before each pass now as opposed to just initially at
the starting dock. This allows trickers to have a different firmness
of pull for hands vs. toes.
- 3/28/07 Tournament schedule error in the guide book
- The Mass State Championship is listed on the correct
date on the schedule list on page 36 but is showing the wrong
date on the detail on page 63. The Mass State Championship is
being held July 14-15. View unofficial
schedule, and official
- 3/8/07 Judge's Clinic in Sparta, VA April
22. Please hold that date open.
- Please contact Roger
Hammel with your FIRM signups. Still working on a scorers
clinic. Nothing firm yet. Will advise soon.
- 3/3/07 Rule changes make WSTIMS 3.52 obsolete, update
- 3/3/07 EVP writes slalom
timing and rule change, please forward to tournament officials
- 2/23/07 Sunset
Lakes Academy announcement
- 2/23/07 Seeking Collegiate
- 2/23/07 Note from EVP about Boating
in New Jersey
- 1/18/07 Agenda
for 2007 Winter Meeting Posted
- 1/18/07 EVP announces 2006
Eastern Region Ranking List Champions
- 1/18/07 Minutes
for 2006 Summer Regional Meeting Posted
- 1/12/07 Richard
Love, 1944 - 2006
- 1/10/07 Weighting Tournament Performance for Rankings,
please complete survey (removed).
- EVP would like your input. Should class E/L/R tournament performances
- 1/5/07 2007 Tournament Sanction Deadline Approaches,
- Please complete all sanctions for 2007 Tournaments on or
before Monday, January 15, 2007 to ensure listing in the 2007
Guidebook. Sanctions can be completed on line at http://usaws.usawaterski.org/.
Please note payment option changes, more details...
- 12/29/06 Room Rate for Winter Meeting Reduced
- The Valley Forge Suites Hotel has reduced the rate for sleeping
rooms for the Winter Meeting & Clinics. Rather than the amounts
published in the Newsletter, and posted on the web site, the rate
for meeting and clinic attendees is now $95.00 for a single occupancy
room, and $105.00 for a quad. Please be sure to mention that you
are with the USA Water Ski room block. So please book now by calling
(610) 647-6700. We have a full and information packed weekend
- 12/13/06 Eastern
Region Fall Newsletter Posted
- Contents: Announcement for 2007 Winter Meeting & Clinics,
dates later than normal, 1/20-21/07 (and published incorrectly
in Water Skier mag). Eastern Regional dates, request for officials,
chief officials announced. Tournament sponsors reminder, preliminary
schedule. Junior Development News. Officials and Council, please
also see note from EVP.
- 12/13/06 Note from Webmaster
- The Forum is not being used. Additionally, the membership form
is being spammed daily with fake registrants hoping to market
their products. Please consider whether we want this as a tool,
let your council and presidents know, and we will make a decision
at winter meeting whether to continue or remove it.
- 10/30/06 Attention 2007 Tournament Sponsors
- The Eastern Region has a new Tournament Coordinator. Please
submit your tournament dates for 2007 to Bill
Fosbenner at 609-432-6233. Dates must be submitted by Thursday,
December 1, 2006.
- 10/30/06 Officials Needed
- Senior and Regular rated officials are needed to serve as appointed
officials for the 2007 Eastern Regionals at Twin Lakes, in Monroe,
NY. The Regionals will take place Thursday 8/2/07, through Saturday
8/4/07. Sunday 8/5 will be available as a weather day if necessary.
Senior rated officials are also needed to serve as appointed officials
for the 2007 Nationals at Ski West Village in Bakersfield, CA.
The Nationals will take place Monday, 8/13/07 and end on Saturday
8/18/07. Please notify Doug
Robbins at (724) 816-1995, if you can serve as an appointed
official at either or both of these tournaments.
- 10/10/06 Scores
updated, Regionals photos
- 10/10/06 Alex Lauretano
Strikes Gold in Mexico at the Pan Am
- 9/5/06 Alex Lauretano
Concludes Her Junior Water Ski Career as National Overall
- 9/4/06 New record pending in Women 8
- set by Loretta Morris who scored three buoys at 32 off the line
at Trophy Lake in Charleston, SC. Current record is one buoy at
32 off. Bob Morris reports that he believes this is her seventh
record breaking performance!
- 8/18 and 8/28/06 Junior Development Fundraising
by Mass. WaterSki Assoc.
- Steve Karras, owner of Kaleidoscope Imprints of West Yarmouth,
MA, has for 6 of the last 7 years donated a supply of Mass State
Championship t-shirts. These t-shirts are provided to all junior
competitors in the Mass. State Championship at Oakham, and the
remainder are sold by the juniors with all revenue donated to
the Eastern Region Junior Development program. The primary sales
agents over the past several years have been Jennifer and Stephanie
Tee who each year have been extraordinary in their efforts. Dave
Allen reports that "Steve Karras has never asked for anything
for his generous contribution year after year but I would say
that he is quite deserving of recognition for his efforts." Paul
Tee reports that "Rui Afonso will either present a check
or at least mention it at the Natls. while he is there."
If a club, organization, or individual is interested in quality
waterski event shirts, custom printed for your event, please contact
Steve directly at www.kaleidoscopeimprints.com
or give him a call at 508-778-1228.
- 8/15/06 WSTIMS release
3.52 re-posted, please download the latest
- 8/11/06 WSTIMS release
3.52 updated for Fall 2006 is now available
- 8/11/06 Expect travel check-in delays to Nationals
- Notified by Dave Robbins and confirmed by his travel agent that
check-in delays of 3 hours are to be anticipated nationwide due
to recent suspicious activity. Binding lube and other questionable
items should be packed in checked luggage.
- 8/7/06 Regionals complete
scores posted. People are welcome to send webmaster
- 2 megs max., 10 megs per email max., or ask me for an FTP site
- 7/25/06 Sneak preview, PowerPoint
presentation of new rankings system
- Melanie McKeen Hanson of USA WaterSki will be presenting at
the general membership meeting at Nationals. "As everyone is heading
into their state and regional tournaments it is a great chance
to explain how the rankings system will work. I have found so
far at tournaments that most skiers have heard about the rankings
system but do not understand exactly how it will work as far as
national qualifications esepcially in the area of cutoff dates,
cutoff averages, and last chance qualifying methods."
- 7/24/06 The Green
Mountain Water Skiers are hosting a slalom clinic with Jamie
- at Waterbury Reservoir, VT on Aug. 1st and possibly the 2nd.
If interested, email Bruce
Epstein (if space available).
- 7/24/06 A "Sunday Morning Almanac" video
- 7/15/06 Please provide your response to this poll
on Regionals entry fee and banquet
- Poll is disabled until further notice, email EVP if necessary.
- 7/15/06 Competition Task Force Proposal may be reviewed
- The CTF has completed its work and addressed all the issues
brought forward at the January BOD and then some. You are one
major form of communication from the CTF to the public.
- 7/15/06 2006
Eastern Region Winter Minutes posted
- 6/15/06 New email address for Jennifer
- "Scores" address to right updated to her new address, too.
- 6/15/06 Check out SwapSkiStuff.com
- ...a great site to buy, sell or find ski equipment. It's easy
to get connected with buyers and sellers across the country.
- 6/7/06 Alex Lauretano ties Eastern Region and National
- ...held by Susie Lohr by jumping 151' (46.0 meters) at the 2006
Junior US Open last weekend.