WATERSKI NEWS 2007 - 2008
Headlines June 2007 - May 2008, Details and Archives
Note: News on this page is posted with the latest at the top and
the earliest at the bottom. This is an archive page that will store
everything originally posted on the home page and provide additional
detail when needed.
- 5/30/08 Clinic at Pangaea with Terry Goodman, June
28 & 29
- Location: Canajoharie, NY, Cost $100.00, contact George
- 5/30/08 Alex Lauretano
Selected for U.S. World University Team
- 5/28/08 Junior
Development Clinic, July 17 and 18
- Location: Goodhues, Oakham, MA, Coaching provided by Mike Kusiak,
Cost $100.00, More detail...
- 5/10/08 Ratings from 2007 posted, use these 2007
ratings OR 2008 rankings for Eastern Regionals
- Girls and Women
(434K PDF) , Boys
and Men (469K PDF), see page 54 of 2008 guidebook for qualifications,
reference 07 XP (expert) or 07 1st (first class) on these PDFs
as appropriate, or 2008 rankings posted on USA WaterSki.
- 4/10/08 2008 Dave Robbins notes item of interest
to slalom skiers & slalom judges
- Slalom - A Miss (10.03): AWSA adopted the IWSF version of this
rule re the slalom gates. Now AWSA and IWSF Rules are the same.
- 4/7/08 2008 Clinics
- Timberlake will host a Trained
Driver clinic on May 17th and a Safety clinic on May 18th.
- 3/21/08 WSTIMS still at rev.
3.54 for 2008.
- No new rules. Will now work with Vista after updating to Vista
- 3/5/08 Junior US Open Fact Sheet and Entry Form
posted on USA Waterski
Sheet and Entry
Form. Just in case the links change someday, from the WaterSkiing
link in the upper left which brings you to the 3-event
page, click 2008 Entry Forms.
- 3/3/08 25th Eastern Region Ski Show Tournament July
26 & 27, 2008
- Northampton, MA on the shores of the Oxbow, Class "A"
Ski Show Tournament, "A" & "B" division
competition, competition in individual events. Contact Debbie
Z, Eastern Region Ski Show Tournament co-chair.
- 3/1/08 2008 Eastern Region Tournament
Guide PDF (1.7 meg) posted
- 2/8/08 INDEPENDENTS CAN COMPETE IN WORLD SENIOR
- Any USA Water Ski member over 35 years old desiring to participate
as an independent in the Senior World Water Ski Trophy to be held
September 8-14, 2008 in Sesena, Spain should contact Gus
Johnson at 706-202-1136.
- 2/8/08 Records
- 1/22/07 2008
Eastern Region Officials for Regionals and Nationals
- 1/21/07 Make sure
you're a VIP at Regionals (Junior Development)
- 1/21/07 Remembering
Paul M. Wright
- 1/21/07 Nationals
schedule posted on USA Waterski
- 1/21/07 Looking
for host, premier level Jr. Clinic. Funding is available !!
- 1/21/07 Silver for
Alex Lauretano at World Championships in Chile
- 1/21/07 Eastern
Region Ranking List posted
- 12/27/07 USA
Water Ski to use online event registration beginning March 2008
- 12/27/07 Minutes
posted from Eastern Region Summer Meeting
- 12/18/07 2008
Tournament Schedule updated
- 12/18/07 Reminder
to make reservation for Winter Meeting by Dec. 21
- 12/3/07 2007 Fall
Newsletter and Winter Meeting Notice
- 12/3/07 2008
Tournament Schedule updated
- 11/24/07 2008
Tournament Schedule Draft posted
- The ones with the dates filled in are those from whom Bill Fosbenner
- 11/21/07 Dialogue: Establishing
a Record Capability Site
- Interesting dialogue that Pat Byrne thought would be helpful
for others to review and perhaps comment to those involved.
- 11/21/07 Message from
Steven Locke, new Executive Director of USA Water Ski
- 11/8/07 AWSEF Fundraising
- Tom Danford, AWSEF Treasurer, writes: "The Foundation is
close to completing the museum and the lake..." and has fundraising
needs to achieve this mission and future goals. See Tom's
note, and view the Raffle
- 10/19/07 Please send 2008 preliminary tournament
- to the Eastern Region Tournament Cooridinator, Bill
Fosbenner, by December 1 so that a preliminary schedule can
be created for the newsletter. Tournament sanctions need to be
applied for online prior to the winter meeting, TBA.
- 10/7/07 Remembering Hilary Swaffield
- Hilary Swaffield, Womens 1 skier from New Hampshire, passed
away on Sept. 12. She was the daughter of Bill (Mens 5 skier and
senior official) and Becky, and the sister of Willie (Mens 2 skier)
and Whitney. Read about Hilary's life...
- 10/1/07 Silver for
Alex Lauretano at US Open in Professional Water Ski Debut.
- 10/1/07 International Activities Committee (IAC)
meeting on October 27, 2007...
- to nominate officials for the 2008 team trials and all 2008
international events. Senior officials that are interested
in being considered, see
- 9/14/07 Gene Davis has posted most of the tricks
videos from nationals, remainder soon.
- 8/23/07 There was an error in the guidebook for
the South Jersey Tournaments.
- There is only one on Sept 1 Saturday 3 round slalom and not
- 8/22/07 EVP Message
- 2007 Nationals Results
- 8/22/07 Congratulations to the following juniors...
- ...who made the ALL STAR TEAM and represented the East at this
years Nationals in Bakersfield: Jonathan Paulovich, Keith Corkery,
Colin Potbecker, Chris Driggers, Caroline Cooper, Haley Haines
and Ed Wiley. These juniors had outstanding performances at the
regionals. Junior Development would also like to thank Mike Adams
for his donation. Mike won the Ken Mead Award and donated the
cash award he received to Junior Development. (This was submitted
by Hutch Haines on 8/3 prior to Nationals and overlooked by webmaster
for timely posting, my apologies.)
- 8/20/07 Clean Sweep
for Alex Lauretano at US National Water Ski Tournament
- 8/20/07 EVP Message
& 2007 Eastern Regional Tournament Recap
- 8/14/07 Regionals
- 8/11/07 Junior Development Fundraising by Mass.
- Steve Karras, owner of Kaleidoscope Imprints of West Yarmouth,
MA, has for the past 7 out of 8 years, supplied the Mass. State
tournament in Oakham the commemorative shirts for all juniors.
The remaining shirts have been sold to raise money for the Eastern
Region Junior Development. This year over $600 was raised. Steve
does this out of his love for the sport, and no money is asked
for his services. For that, we are grateful and overwhelmed. It
is people like Steve that make our sport such a great one. If
your club, state, tournament or event needs a quality shirt, please
contact Steve at 1-508-778-1228, or visit www.kaleidoscopeimprints.com.
Sincerely, Paul Tee and his sales help, Stephanie and Jennifer
- 8/10/07 Regionals
Photos Posted, Tournament
Photo Links Added
- 8/6/07 Regionals
- 8/6/07 Winter Meeting
- 7/27/07 Judson "Jud"
Spencer, 77, of Owego
- passed away Saturday, July 21, 2007, at Wilson Memorial Hospital
after battling recent illness. Jud was enjoying the stables and
pulling water skiers just days before his passing. More...
- 7/26/07 In His Wakes is offering a $500 scholarship
- for a Boys or Girls, 2 or 3, three-event Nationals competitor.
Our deadline for receipt of applications has been extended to
August 10th. View information about the In His Wakes scholarship
at the USA
Water Ski website.
- 7/19/07 Regionals info can be found at Twin
Lakes Waterski Park
- 7/10/07 Notes from the
- Congratulations to Jamie and Alex, requesting input from aspiring
officials wishing to attend clinics at Regionals.
- 6/22/07 2007 Nationals Qualifications
- There has been significant confusion about qualifications for
2007 Nationals. RATINGS, not the Ranking List, along with placement,
etc. are the means of qualifying. As noted on on the cover of
the 2007 AWSA Rulebook dated January 27, 2007, "For 2007
Nationals qualifications and related matters involving Ratings,
please refer to the January 28, 2006 Rule Book" Section 4.02.
- 6/22/07 2007 Scores are beginning to be posted.
- 6/5/07 WSTIMS 3.54
updated for Spring 2007 is now available.
- News Archives Prior Year