WATERSKI NEWS 2005 - 2006
Headlines June 2005 - May 2006, Details and Archives
Note: News on this page is posted with the latest at the top and
the earliest at the bottom. This is an archive page that will store
everything originally posted on the home page and provide additional
detail when needed.
- 5/30/06 Kd
ranges on DBW boats...
- ...are typically 24-30, different than on non-DBW boats. Drivers,
judges and trickers should familiarize themselves with the details.
- 5/16/06 Proposed
change for Nationals qualification
- 5/16/06 Eastern Region Tournament Guidebooks Available
- Guidebooks were mailed in March to all active AWSA members in
the Eastern Region. If anyone did not receive theirs or if it
arrived damaged, additional copies are available. EVP, Doug Robbins,
has a limited number of copies available for distribution. Please
contact Doug via email
or call (724) 816-1995 if you need a copy.
- 5/16/06 PerfectPass software glitch in jump mode
- All drivers / promo boat owners should be aware of this. If
you enter the "New Jumper" part of the software and enter a speed
which is different than the current set speed, PerfectPass will
continue to run at the old baseline setting for the new speed.
Until a new chip is provided, if you are running a jump event
and the speed in between skiers is changing, change the speed
first on the main screen and then go to "New Jumper." Over the
next two weeks, PerfectPass will be mailing a new chip to all
tournament boats owners which will have this corrected along with
some other minor tweaks.
- 5/16/06 Junior 2006
- 5/15/06 The Eastern Region Forum
is available for registered member use
- 5/15/06 Scores have begun being posted
- 5/15/06 Independents Can Register For World Senior
- The U.S. Veteran Water Ski Team that will compete in the 2006
World Senior Trophy has already been selected, but independents
can also compete in the biennial event which is scheduled for
Oct. 23-29 in Durban, South Africa. For registration information,
or contact Gus Johnson.
- 4/20/06 WSTIMS 3.51
is now available
- 3/29/06 AWSA Eastern Region Forums
- We have begun using a forum, also known as a bulletin board,
for the distribution of some information. This is a communication
tool that allows registered members to post relevant information.
Contact webmaster if you'd like to moderate a particular topic
or have a topic added. Please register first, though.
- 3/21/06 2006 Regionals - Tournament
- The 2006 Eastern Region Tournament Guidebook states in the ad
for the 2006 Eastern Regionals that tournament class will mirror
In other word if a division / event is run class L at Nationals,
it will be run the same at the Regionals.
To clarify this announcement, each division / event at the Regionals
will be run class E, with the skier option to ski up to class
L or in some cases R if the same division will be run under those
classes at the Nationals. Each skier will have the option to ski
class E, or to ski at their own risk under class L or in some
cases R rules.
This skier option is consistent with past Regionals. Regardless
of choice of tournament class and rules, all skiers in the division
will be placed based on their performance results.
Skiers who ski in divisions where a choice is available will select
the tournament class they wish to ski when they register.
Any questions regarding the divisions, events, and or rules differences
may direct them to Chief Judge John
Harris prior to or at the tournament.
- 3/15/06 WSTIMS release 3.46 is now obsolete
- and is NOT to be used for 2006 events. The replacement version
should be available about April 1st -- and this new WSTIMS 3.50
IS to be used for ALL events this season. In the meantime, anyone
with clinics or events coming up in the next few weeks should
contact Dave Clark
directly and he'll make sure you have what you need.
- 2/19/06 Alex Lauretano is
#1 in the World in Junior Women's Jump
- 2/19/06 Preliminary Summary
of Winter Meetings Posted
- 2/19/06 Website Pages converted to PHP
- .. for improved ability to update sections globally, etc. Please
report any bad links to webmaster.
If you have bookmarked any pages, change the last three letters
of the URL from .htm to .php to get to the corresponding page.
- 12/13/05 Any officials in need of clinic credit
or upgrade testing at the Winter Meeting, please contact Doug
Robbins, (724) 816-1995.
- 12/13/05 Please renew your USAWS membership by 12/31/06
- So that you will be included in any database output generated
- 12/5/05 EVP Posts
- As determined at the 2005 Summer Meeting by membership direction
and council vote, the newsletter will be posted on line and distributed
via e-mail, not sent out in hard copy form to AWSA members in
Eastern Region states as in the past. Please inform other AWSA
Highlights: 1) The Winter Meeting & Clinics will take place
on Saturday & Sunday 1/7 & 1/8/06 at the Middletown Courtyard
by Mariott in Middletown, NY. Thanks to John Corkery for his efforts
in finding the site for the meeting & clinics. 2) Officials
are needed for the 2006 Regionals & Nationals. 3) Tournament
sanctions are due Jan. 1, 2006. 4) Perfect Pass displays and
system menus are revised for 2006. Speed Control clinic Sunday
morning will cover and demonstrate.
- 12/5/05 National
Junior & Junior Development Water Ski Teams, 2006
- Top junior water ski athletes from across the nation have been
selected to the National Junior Water Ski Team and the National
Junior Development Water Ski Team for 2006. More
- 11/18/05 Draft of tournament
schedule for 2006, updated 11/20, 12/5, 12/23, 2/27/06 and
- 10/13/05 Email List to facilitate Jr Dev communication
- An email list is being created for communication throughout
the winter and ongoing to bring everyone up to speed with whats
happening with Jr. Development. All interested juniors, parents
and others, please send your email address to Hutch
- 10/3/05 Alex Lauretano
sets new Eastern Region records...
- in slalom, trick and overall, at both the CanAm and Jack Travers'
- 9/26/05 Scores
updated again. (Photos,
- If you do not see your scores here,
please request the chief scorer from the tournament to send them
in. Seeding needs LZH file, webmaster needs HTM file. Email
address sends to both of us. If scores were recorded manually,
an Excel or other electronic file is fine for website.
- 8/31/05 USA Waterski new "real-time" national
- 8/29/05 Hartford
Courant story about Wyatt Haines.
- 8/28/05 Winter meeting minutes
- 8/14/05 WSTIMS 3.46 was released on Aug. 10, posted.
- 8/14/05 New Ski Year has begun, Note to Scorers
and Tournament Officials
- Please remember to download new entry list templates. Do not
re-use entry list templates from an '05 event. Some skiers have
changed divisions after Nationals and you will be helping our
seeding officials greatly if you provide the correct information.
WSTIMS 3.46 release
- 7/27/05 Junior
Development Reports & Announcements at the 2005 Eastern
- All Star Team Members
and Recipients of Most Improved Awards,
- The Pond in Avon Connecticut
is Getting Serious about Junior Development,
- Junior Development Report
for the 2005 Eastern Regional Summer Meeting
- 7/25/05 Complete
scores from Regionals posted.
- 7/19/05 Classified
section now online.
- 7/19/05 Tonight is the deadline for website postings
prior to regionals
- 7/13/05 Alex Lauretano on 2005
- 7/11/05 Junior Development Funds Raised at Mass.
- Kaleidoscope Imprints of Cape Cod, owned by Steve Karras, donated
t-shirts for this year's Mass. State Championship tournament.
The ENTIRE cost of the shirts (shirts, printing, shipping, layout,
etc.) was donated by Steve's company, Kaleidoscope. Some enthusiastic
juniors including Stephanie and Jennifer Tee participated in the
sale of the t-shirts, raising almost $700 to-date, slated for
the Junior Development Fund. If a club or tournament is interested
in these fine quality shirts for their own club or tournament
please contact Steve directly at www.kaleidoscopeimprints.com
- 7/8/05 Remembering Scott
- 7/8/05 Junior Development Needs
- Lack of funds from the USOC this year, proposing additional
Junior Development donation added to the 2006 National entry fee.
- 7/6/05 Young Expressions Magazine Feature
Story on Alex Lauretano
- Good press for Alex and water skiing exposure to a different
group of teens.
- 7/1/05 Volunteer(s) needed for Junior Development
- A volunteer is needed to coordinate and run the Junior Development
auction at the 2005 Eastern Regional Water Ski Championships.
Contact Pat Byrne for details…
- 6/29/05 Regional Tournament Guidebook POLL -- completed
- Would you prefer to receive future Regional Tournament Guidebooks
in electronic or paper form?
- 6/29/05 Help Requested in order to hold a Tournament
at Sanford, ME
- Date is August 14th (Sunday). If there is enough interest, then
maybe the 13th also. Possibly 2 sanctions / 2 tournaments. Needed:
Chief Driver, Safety Director, Chief Scorer, One more Regular
Judge, Another Driver would help, Somebody to set up jump measuring
(we don't have video, but would welcome it), BOATS!!!!!!! If able
to help, please contact Dave Robbins
- 6/28/05 Jennifer Frederick-Kelly baby news, photo
of McKenzie Elizabeth
- Our Eastern Region seeding person had a baby Wednesday, 6/22,
- 6/26/05 2005
Tournament Scores are starting to come in
- Please be sure you are sending them to the current
email address. This will ensure they get to both Jennifer
Frederick-Kelly and the webmaster.
- 6/8/05 Attention Out-of-Region
Skiers at Regionals
- Any skiers wishing to ski out of region at the 2005 Eastern
Regionals, or any Eastern Regional skiers wishing to ski in another
region need to obtain approval from EVP’s of both affected regions
prior to the tournament. This is in accordance with AWSA Rules.
Additionally participation in a Regional championship tournament
is required to ski Nationals.
- Cellular telephone service is unavailable at Lake Holly, the
site of the 2005 Eastern Regionals, so communication will not
be available once the Regional tournament begins. Skiers who have
not obtained prior approval to ski out of region or wait until
after the start of the regional tournament to obtain approval,
risk being unable to participate in the Regional tournament they
- Doug Robbins, EVP
- Eastern Region, 724-816-1995