2005 Eastern Region Winter
Council Meeting –
8:30 a.m., Saturday 1/8/05
- Call to Order – meeting called
to order 8:36 am
- Announcement of Quorum
- Introduction of Council - Roger
Hammel (VA), John Davis (PA), Pat Byrne (CT), Sam Ingram (WV), Rod Barney
(VA), Steve Lohr (VA), Randy & Russell Cole (for Dave Allen & Ron
Kokernak - MA), Jennifer Frederick-Kelly(NY), Doug Robbins (PA), Marie Baker(PA),
Darrell DeBey (for Dean Rudy - NY), Gary Noll (PA), Clarence Swift (DE),
Alan Frederick (NY), Ed Nichols (DE), Jean Giove (MD), Kathy Roach (for
Ed Spear - VA), John Corkery (NJ).
- Lunch on own (buffet) in hotel
- Dan Baumgart taking donations
for Ed Brazil hip fund if anyone has room in their giving budgets. Ed
requires hip replacement surgery.
- Dean Rudy cancer update – doing
well – wk. 9 of 12. His tumor
is shrinking. Looking forward
to ski season.
- E-mail Leslie Carr w/any updates
- Jr. Dev. Reps – Under new leadership
& direction, reps needed from each state
- 2004 Summer Meeting Minutes
- Review & discussion – reimbursement
for meetings, etc. to not exceed $300 for directors & committee meetings
- Approval – motion by Pat Byrne
second by Russ Cole
- Treasurer’s Report – Marie Baker
- bal. checking $3,630.15 / savings
$20,160.50 / jr. dev. $6,795.32
- Marie suggested communicating
to national committee members, the meeting reimbursement budget amounts
& how to submit them
- Doug questioned about clinic’s
that were held in the fall. Instructors
didn’t submit anything to Marie. Could be $90.00 in addition to clinics.
- Approved by Ed Nichols second
by Gary Noll
- 2005 Tournament Schedule - Doug
- On Line Sanctioning – some changes
were made w/dates, etc.
- Sanction Fee Payment – ER &
AWSA payments could be made via credit card to AWSA. We were told hqtrs. could accept all
payments on-line but it was NOT available as of yet. Checks will be issued quarterly to ERAWSA.
- Novice/Fun tournaments sanction
fee – all should be listed in the guidebook calendar. No charge for Eastern
Region Sanction fee but there is a $65.00 fee for guidebook advertisement
for ½ page. Final review date
- Five Star Program – To add interest
to tournaments, improve tournaments, attract new skiers & make them
friendly to newcomers
- NSL Program – AWSA President
issued directive that all states include NSL events at their state championships
- Review & discussion
- Approval – motion by Alan Frederick
– second by Pat Byrne
- 2005 National Judges & Scorers
Clinic – Roger Hammel
- Herndon, VA near D.C. area on
- A good area – near airport, cheaper
airline fares, restaurants & shopping plentiful & within walking
- It will not be a “book” clinic
but a variety of items from Perfect Pass to hi-end tricks. Please encourage
all senior/regular officials to attend. It will really promote the E.R. and be
of benefit for all that participate.
- Clinic budget details presented
- Issue for council is reimbursement
amount for clinic attendees $0 / $10 (normal clinic fee) / full $40 fee
or somewhere in between
- Council approved full clinic
fee will be reimbursed for each attendee from the Eastern Region
- 2005 Budget Review & Discussion
- AC attend 2 meetings yearly. Proposed budget to change directors to $600 & IAC to $1200. Subtotal stays the same.
- Web site expense is eliminated. Marie pays 7 yrs. In advance.
- Guidebook is $1400 income
more than 2004.
- Tournament ads budgeted
same as 2004.
- More than likely the commercial
and state ads will stay the same.
- The USAWS printing &
mailing projection will be $993.85 to E.R.
- Add Jr. Dev. Clinic budget
will be $1000 for $10 per participant / per day ER contribution. Same as previous
- Net loss for clinics will
- The projected total net
loss for the year is $1923.56
- All E.R. attendees to the
National clinic in Herndon will be reimbursed $45 – motion by Pat Byrne
second by Jean Goive. Marie has to
have a request by the official who wants to be reimbursed. It is not automatic. This is just for this year and will be voted
on for each year.
- Approval – motion
by Pat Byrne second by Roger Hammel.
- Eastern Region Records –
Dan Baumgart / Roger Hammel
- Lots of discussion in 2004 especially
regarding G2 (34 vs. 32 mph).
- ER will begin to list slalom
as buoy count, speed & line lengths. Each individual state should
start doing this – not to just list buoy counts only.
- Roger made a motion to retire
current slalom records where new minimum speeds will be instituted until
a new record exceeds the existing record
- second by Pat Byrne
- Official selection for 2005 Eastern
- Chief Driver – Rusty Coffin (DE)
- Asst. Chief – Ralph Hall (VA)
- Drivers – Jon Thacher (VA), Marie
Fields (VA), Tom Hinman (CT)
- Chief Judge – Jerry Stansberry
- Asst. Chief – Sara Roach (VA)
- Judges – Dave Robbins (ME), Ed Nichols (DE), Roger Hammel
(VA), Jean Goive (MD), Bill Baker (PA), Bill Cooper (NJ)
- Chief Scorer – Ann Lohr (VA)
- Asst. Chief – Mark Dingeman (VT)
- Scorers – Rebecca Bartlett (NH),
Leslie Carr (MD)
- Chief Safety – Kathy Roach (VA)
- Safety – Dave Knight (CT)
- Alternate Driver position
was discussed. Alternate has been required by rule to be on site for the Regional
tournament. Years ago (early 1990’s) policy began to use and assign
the Alternate as any other appointed driver because they had to be there.
Since then the Eastern Regionals has been staffed with five (5) appointed
drivers for all intents and purposes. Last year the regional guidebook ad
for the Eastern Regionals did not even designate an Alternate Driver which
in the past has historically been the driver receiving the least amount of
council votes for approval to driver the Regionals. EVP posed question if
the Alternate designation / vote was necessary. Steve Lohr made a motion to
eliminate the position of Alternate Driver. Seconded by Russ Cole. Motion
approved. In the event a driver is unable to drive the tournament after council
approval at the annual winter meeting, the EVP is responsible to find a willing
and available replacement.
- Official selection for 2005 Nationals
Chief Judge – Steve Lohr (VA)
as appointed by AWSA President
Appointed – Roger Hammel (VA),
Ed Nichols (DE)
Assigned - Dave Robbins (ME), Bill
Cooper (NJ), Bill Baker (PA)
Appointed Drivers – Rusty Coffin
(DE), Doug Robbins (PA)
Appointed Scorers – Ann Lohr
- Amendments to P & P Manual
and By Laws – Gary Noll
to the Eastern Region By Laws were reviewed as per Gary’s by law report. Procedure is that it must be voted on &
approved by National By Laws Committee & approved by AWSA BOD. The council vote will be at the summer meeting/Nationals.
Manual – amendment issues
to add 3.1.3 to Regional Bid Requirements – the banquet is a necessary
component of Regionals. Should the
cost to the Regional skier be able to exceed the Nationals expense? The consensus is to vote yearly for each year
bid and be mindful to the cost of the skier. Proposed amendment did not pass council vote.
these were listed to replace the entire section that’s already in affect.
2nd bullet (change to) …..regional requirements being considered
3rd bullet (change to)
…..regional requirements prior to the annual guidebook printing deadline
to replace “annual Eastern Region Winter Meeting”.
Motion by Gary Noll seconded by Roger Hammel. Council approved.
- Competition Task Force / “Sub Regionals” –
A test case was to have perhaps 2 regionals in E.R. in 2007. One in the North the other in the South. The task force wants us to have a discussion during the general meeting. Ed Nichols suggested a 15 min. discussion limit. All agreed.
- 2005 Eastern Regionals – Lake Holly Ski Club
Jon Thacher (tournament director) – Thursday Jr. Dev.
At Pitt’s Pond, Friday ER meeting, and Saturday Skier banquet will be
held at a public golf course 6 -7 miles away from the site. Comfort Inn in Ruther Glenn is the Regional Headquarters.
- 2006 Eastern Regionals –
- Two bids received for vote at
the Winter meeting. Avon Old Farms & Lake Holly Ski Club
- Bid Review & Discussion –
John Davis prepared & presented a comparative report
costs for Lake Holly included in entry $20-25 extra ticket unsure about junior
tickets / Avon included in entry $25 adult/$15 kids
- Holly Thursday – Sunday / Avon Friday-Monday
- Avon includes an overall trophy
– Lake Holly will have shore swimmers for tricks & slalom and boat
for jump. Avon will have shore swimmers & rope handler for slalom &
tricks, boat for jump. Avon will do the same as last year but are flexible
with the requirements of the board.
fees – Lake Holly $25/Avon will have a progression of $25/$50/$75
- Council discussion closed, vote
took place. Council awarded 2006 Nationals to Lake Holly Ski Club.
- Other Old Business
Emeritus request is to be presented at the January 2005 BOD Meeting
- New Business
Date Poll Results
request – Rege Mahoney